Activated charcoal—yes, charcoal—has become one of the hottest ingredients for beauty and wellness. But does it really work? Yes! As long as you use this gritty black ingredient correctly, It is a safe, affordable and effective way to detoxify your skin.
Activated charcoal draws bacteria, poisons, chemicals, dirt and other micro-particles to the surface of skin, helping you to achieve a flawless complexion. Intrigued? Below, 7 beauty benefits of activated charcoal.
1. Balances Oily Skin
If you have oily and acne-prone skin, activated charcoal may be just the ingredient you need to balance it out. When used in a cleanser or face mask, it can pull the excess oils from your skin, leaving it smooth. But do this sparingly — once or twice per week so that you don’t dry out your skin.
2. Rid Your Hair of Toxins
A shampoo formulated with activated charcoal can gently detox by attracting dirt and oil which is then washed away. Regular shampoos remove surface dirt, but the one formulated with activated charcoal eliminates scalp woes (like impurities, flakes, and product residues) while simultaneously conditioning strands for healthier hair in the long run.
3. DIY Tea-Tree Charcoal Soap
A detoxifying, clarifying and feel-good soap that can be used from head-to-toe, without drying out the skin.
• Cut the soap base into small chunky pieces and melt over a double boiler.
• Pour a small amount of soap into a cup, cool slightly, and mix charcoal in it. Then, add back into the rest of the melted soap base.
• Add tea-tree essential oil. To mellow down the smell of tea-tree, you can add in a few drops of peppermint oil.
• Pour the mixture into the mold and let it cool. The soap is ready to use!
4. Whitens Teeth
This ingredient has long been used to prevent cavities and gum disease, ward-off bad breath, and whiten teeth.
Just apply some activated charcoal to your toothbrush and dab it over your teeth. This simple trick works to strip away stains like coffee, tea, wine, and plaque.
5. Detox + Lighten Armpits
Armpits deserve care and attention just as any other body part. To detoxify and lighten armpits, Make a paste by mixing 1 teaspoon of honey and powder from 3 capsules of activated charcoal. Apply this paste on clean, dry underarms. Leave it on for about 20 minutes and then wash it off. This remedy also works well on dark knees/elbows.
6. Eliminate Blackheads
Since a blackhead is essentially plugged up oil that has been darkened by oxidation, an activated charcoal mask will unclog your pores and reduce the appearance of dirt and bacteria-filled hair follicles.
All you have to do is — Take 1 teaspoon of activated charcoal in a bowl and gradually add small amounts of water until a paste is made. Apply it to the concerned area and rinse it off with warm water after 10 minutes. Pat dry with a clean towel, and follow up with a moisturizer. Do this twice a week.
7. DIY Rejuvenating Bath Bomb
• 1 tablespoon of food-grade activated charcoal
• ¾ cup baking soda
• ¼ cup or 2 tablespoon citric acid
• 3 tablespoon coconut oil (melted)
• Essential oil (optional)
•Bath bomb mold
• In a bowl, mix the charcoal powder, baking soda and citric acid together.
• Add the melted coconut oil, working it thouroughly into the dry ingredients. Now add essential oil, if you’re using any.
• The mixture should be close to the consistency of wet sand. If not, spray some witch hazel into the mix and stir.
• Begin filling two halves of the mold using a spoon, and firmly press them together, wiping around the edges of the mold to make sure the two sides are sealed.
• Take the bath bomb out of the mold and allow them to dry for 24 hours. To use, toss ’em up in your bathtub and enjoy!
If you suffer from back or body acne, you may find that the activated charcoal in a bath bomb like this will help soothe your skin and help your skin find a healthy balance.