Blackheads are small bumps that appear on your skin due to clogged hair follicles. They contain an oxidized version of melanin, the dark pigment made by cells in the skin. They are a feature of mild acne, but they can appear without other signs of acne being present.
Try this DIY steam treatment to get rid of blackheads fast—and for good.
Steamer, Towel, Mild exfoliator, blackhead extraction tool ($5.49; amazon.com),
1. Place a towel over your face and lean over the steamer. Allow the steam to soften and drain the pores. Continue the steam treatment for about 10 minutes and gently exfoliate your face with a mild scrub.
2. The steam will open up the clogged pores making it possible to remove the dead cells and dirt stuck within the pores easily.
3. After you have scrubbed the skin lightly for 1-2 minutes wash off with excess normal water.
4. Place the loop end of the extractor over the blackhead you want to extract. The key is to not put too much pressure on the skin by dragging the tool across the surface of the skin, which can cause tearing of the skin. Instead, gently press down around the clogged pore using the smallest loop. You should be able to feel the tiny pressure as you press down, and the blockage will come out as a plug.
5. Now comes the most important part when you need to close up the open pores on your skin, soak a cotton ball in a toner and dab it onto the skin in excess. It is best to use chilled pure rosewater as a toner for this part. Let the toner dry off on your skin, follow up with a moisturizer. The moisturizer will balance any dryness on the skin caused due to exfoliating.
TIP: For extra pore-cleansing benefits, put some peppermint herb root or 1 drop of peppermint oil into the steaming water. It is important to use astringent/toner on your face after you have opened your pores to prevent any dirt and debris from going back into them.
1. Don’t be too aggressive in trying to remove debris, you may end up causing a lot of inflammation, which will make the problem worse.
2. If the blackhead or whitehead doesn’t budge, we recommend leaving it alone and using a product with retinol to help loosen it.
3. Do not use the blackhead extractor on pimples and talk with professional regarding pimples.