Did you know the charcoal used for skin care is what’s known as “Activated Charcoal” and it isn’t anything new – It’s been around for years. Activated Charcoal, when used in a face mask, helps pull the dirt out of the pores making them less visible (It’s the dirt and oil that makes them appear bigger)
Here are some of the benefits of using charcoal face mask: Detoxifies skin, Fights acne, Purifies clogged pores, Exfoliates skin, Tightens skin, Reduces blackheads/whiteheads and more!
DIY Charcoal Face Mask
- Activated Charcoal – 1 teaspoon
- Bentonite Clay – ½ teaspoon
- Honey – ½ teaspoon
- Normal Water – 1 teaspoon
- Lavender essential oil – 2 drops (optional)
Approximately 10 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a plastic/wooden bowl ( avoid metal ) until it reaches to the consistency of a pudding.
- Apply a thin layer of this mixture to your cleansed face.
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes or till it feels a bit sticky. Do not let it dry completely.
- Remove with lukewarm water.
- Don’t forget to apply an intensive moisturizer afterwards to avoid the discomfort as it’s a drying mask.
A tip for dry/sensitive skin: Using a hydrating skin serum underneath the mask can offset any drying effect.
One to three times a week, depending on the needs of your skin.
Why This Works?
- Activated Charcoal or Activated Carbon is a good absorbent so it acts like a vacuum to absorb bacteria, excess oil and removes impurities out of clogged pores. It first draws out bacteria and other toxins to the surface of the skin and then absorbs & carries them away when you rinse it off.
- Bentonite Clay not only detoxifies the skin but also helps repair and regenerate it because it’s loaded with minerals that deeply nourish the skin cells. It also helps promote tighter and younger looking skin.
- Honey is a natural humectant which simply means it attracts moisture from the air and adds it to your skin which makes it look healthier.