Out of all the skin on your body, your lips is the most vulnerable. Dry lips strike quickly because the skin on your lips is extremely thin. Skin’s purpose is to lock hydration in… to do this most areas have 15-20 layers of skin, lips only have 3 to 5 making them vulnerale to water loss.
Lips do not contain their own oil glands like other parts of our skin – reason why they are prone to drying out and becoming cracked. Fortunately, you can always prevent them from being chapped by following a very simple routine.
To banish dry lips, you must re-form a water barrier and re-condition the skin underneath it. Below, 5 expert tips to help you get rid of dry lips at home using natural ingredients:
1. Mix glycerine and rose water in equal parts and apply it to your lips. While rosewater will add a subtle pink tint to your lips, the nourishing ingredient i.e. glycerine will take away the dry and dead skin.
2. Apply a thin layer of an organic balm and gently scrub the dead skin off using a regular toothbrush. Make sure you’re using one which has really soft bristles so you don’t hurt your lip’s delicate skin.
Note: Do not forget to moisturize the lips after exfoliating. Just take 2-3 drops of sweet almond or coconut oil and massage it into your lips.
3. Combine granulated sugar and organic coconut oil, and very gently scrub your lips with this mixture. Wash it off with water and apply a good quality lip balm.
4. For intense hydration, apply jojoba oil. Massage it in for 2-3 minutes and that’s it. You can also make a scrub by mixing jojoba oil with brown sugar.
5. To prevent lips from bleeding, use green tea oil. Since it contains antioxidants, it can help calm and reduce any inflammation. Just Add a drop of oil to lip balm and apply to lips as necessary.
Soft and hydrated lips can really elevate your appearance. So, opt for lip balms infused with lip-friendly ingredients like Blueberries/Cranberries/Grapefruits – they contain a high percentage of antioxidants and also provide a protective shield against UV rays.
If you have very dry lips, the type that flake, chap, sore and crack. We recommend using the Innisfree Canola Honey Lip Balm. It contains shea butter and murmuru butter that provide instant moisture to dry lips.